Should you need urgent health advice please contact your GP or call NHS 111. In an emergency please visit A&E or call 999

Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust is responsible for the writing, publishing and updating of the content on this page.

You're viewing the site locally in: Leicester, Leicestershire & Rutland

If you have problems understanding English or English isn’t your first language, your public health nurse (health visitor) can ask an interpreter to support the visits. Our interpreting service covers 45 different languages.

It’s really important that you can talk honestly with your public health nurse (health visitor) and understand what they say. When you are contacted by the service, please ask someone to call the telephone number on the letter and tell us that you need an interpreter.

All interpreters are fully trained, and committed to confidentiality. They have also signed a code of conduct agreement. For this reason, we encourage you to use this service rather than a family member or friend.

If you have a hearing or sight impairment, your public health nurse (health visitor) can also support you to access a specialist interpreter for one of the following:

  • British Sign Language (BSL)
  • Sign Supported English (SSE)
  • Deaf/Blind
  • Lip speaker (Hard of Hearing)

Telephone interpreting

Your public health nurse (health visitor) can also talk to you over the telephone via an interpreter; this service can be used for short conversations such as booking appointments.

ChatHealth Logo

Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust runs a confidential secure text messaging service for parents of children aged 0-19 years called Chat Health. The service operates Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm, excluding bank holidays. All texts will be responded to by a public health nurse (health visitor/school nurse) within 24 hours. Outside of the service working hours, you’ll receive a message back to inform you that your text will be responded to once the line reopens.

Should you require urgent health advice in the meantime, please contact your GP, visit an NHS walk-in centre or call NHS 111. For emergencies, dial 999 or visit A&E.

Page last reviewed: 19-10-2020

Next review due: 19-10-2023